I found this recipe for Smoky Cauliflower and Roasted Red Pepper Bisque from Michelle’s Healthy Bites through Pinterest – my absolute go-to place for recipes these days. I knew I’d love it, as I love all the ingredients, but the question was, could I put it past my cauliflower-hating other half? Just in case, I made enough food for dinner without the soup.
This soup is super (soup-er?) easy to make and is really healthy. I made it even easier by using pre-roasted peppers from the supermarket. I love homemade roasted peppers, and they’re not hard to make, but I just didn’t have the time.
- 4c. low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about 1c)
- 1tbl grated fresh garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cleaned, florets only (about 1 and 1/2c. florets raw)
- 4 homemade roasted red bell peppers, skins removed, chopped
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp black pepper
- 1tsp paprika
- Red pepper flakes (garnish)
- Chives, sliced (garnish)
- In a large pot, combine broth, onion, garlic, and cauliflower. Bring to a boil, and then boil for 15-20 minutes or until cauliflower is incredibly tender.
- Add the red bell peppers, salt, and pepper to the pot. Allow to cool, then transfer a third of the soup into a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Repeat with remaining soup. To serve, garnish with some red pepper flakes and chives.
I left all the ingredients in the pot and used an immersion blender instead of a food processor. It saves on washing up and has the same outcome. So much easier! I also didn’t have red pepper flakes or chives, so I used dried parsley and fresh chopped thyme.
I though the soup was delicious! It was a little thin, so next time I may add less broth. For leftovers I added some already prepared quinoa to the soup and that gave it the texture I thought it needed. I really liked it and will definitely make it again – when the other half is gone for the night. He did wonder what that flavour was in the soup he didn’t care for. I guess the cauliflower wasn’t so hidden after all. I didn’t notice it, but that’s because I love it. Him? Not so much. Can’t please everyone all the time, right?!
For the original recipe, please visit Michelle’s Healthy Bites.
Follow me on PinterestPin It