I’m not really a fan of pre-made sauces as they never live up to the fresh, homemade version. But sometimes life gets too busy to create everything from scratch, and there are some good pantry staples to help you through those busy times.
This week I tried Patak’s Tikka Masala sauce. I made two meals with it – the first was a bit of a failure as I didn’t use enough sauce, and it was watered down by some spinach I added to it. The second turned out delicious, with just a few simple modifications to suit my taste.
- 250g Spelt, Quinoa, Red Rice & Wild Rice mix from Waitrose (or similar grain)
- 350g Quorn Meat Free Chicken Pieces (not frozen)
- 1 jar Patak's Tikka Masala sauce (you will only need half)
- 200g tenderstem broccoli, rinsed and trimmed into bite sized pieces
- 2 tsp coconut oil, divided
- In a skillet, heat 1 tsp coconut oil. Stir-fry the broccoli until cooked through but still crisp. Season and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1tsp coconut oil. Add the Quorn chicken style pieces to the pan and cook for around 4 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Add 1/2 jar of the Tikka Masala sauce. Stir to coat. Turn heat to low and cook a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Tear open the bag of grains and microwave 1-2 minutes, according to directions on the package.
- To serve, divide the grains into two bowls. Top with broccoli, and then the chicken-style pieces.
- Serve immediately.
- The sauce doesn't have quite enough flavour for me straight from the jar. I found with a bit of added seasoning and a drizzle of sriracha, it was delicious!