This delicious, moreish dish is great on its own or served as a side.
Prepare it to this stage if making ahead of time, and then add the breadcrumbs just before popping it into the oven.
- 3 large aubergines (eggplant)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
- sea salt
- splash of white wine vinegar
- 1 large handful fresh basil leaves
- 3 large handfuls parmesan cheese, grated (for the above picture, I used lacto-free cheese as one of my guests is lactose intolerant)
- 2 handfuls panko breadcrumbs
- Start by making the sauce. Put olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add the onion and dried oregano and cook until the oion is soft. Add the garlic and cook a further 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the stems and bottoms from the aubergine. Slice into 1-inch thick slices. Grill (may have to do in batches) until lightly charred (around 5 minutes per side). As each batch is finished, place on a plate or tray to rest.
- When the sauce is done, season it with salt and pepper, a splash of wine vinegar, and the basil, torn by hand into small pieces.
- In a lasagna pan, put a small layer of tomato sauce, then a thin scattering of cheese, followed by a single layer of aubergines. Repeat the layers, finishing with a little sauce and some more cheese. If making ahead of time, cover and set aside or put in the fridge.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a bowl and drizzle a bit of olive oil over them, as well as a little oregano. Mix with your hands to distribute the oil and oregano evenly. Sprinkle over the top of the aubergines.
- Bake at 190°C/375°F/gas 5 for half an hour until golden, crisp and bubbly. Serve immediately.