This is an updated version of my Quinoa Bean Bites, substituting greens for the corn, and adding a delicious avocado cream. I was very happy with the way these turned out, and I enjoyed them for a few lunches later in the week, as the recipe serves four, and there were just two of us. I love leftovers!
- 1 cup quinoa (any colour)
- 2 cup vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cup cooked kidney beans (1 can)
- 7-10 green leaves (spinach, chard, kale, or combination of - washed, stems removed, chopped)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Rinse the quinoa and add to a pot with the broth. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for approx 15 minutes, until all the water is absorbed. Leave covered for at least 10 minutes or longer then fluff with a fork.
- Stir fry the greens in a small amount of coconut (or other) oil, until bright green and wilted.
- Meanwhile, mash the beans until fairly well mashed but with some texture.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- In a large bowl, mix the quinoa, beans and all the remaining ingredients together until well combined.
- Using moistened hands, shape the mixture into walnut-sized balls and place on baking trays lined with parchment paper or foil sprayed with oil.
- Bake the quinoa-bean bites for approx 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time, or until crispy on the outside.
- Serve with avocado cream, if desired (see notes)
- To make the avocado cream, mash together one ripe avocado with a tbsp lemon or lime juice, 1/2 tsp sea or pink salt, a small handful of chopped fresh basil, and 1/4 cup coconut (or other plain) yoghurt. The more yoghurt you use, the thinner it gets - you don't want it too thin.