A simple, delicious, healthy, spiced side dish or main dish. I found this recipe on Pinterest, posted by The Pretty Bee. Please visit the site to view the original recipe. I put all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and left the house for a couple of hours, returning to my house smelling wonderful! I absolutely loved this dish, and it will undoubtedly become a regular feature in my kitchen!
I served this with some grilled cod, seasoned simply with lime juice and sea salt.
- 1 cup brown lentils
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1¼ tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup brown rice
- 5-6 cups water or vegetable stock
- Place the olive oil into the bottom of the crock pot. Turn the pot onto the highest setting and add the onions. Allow the onions cook in the oil for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredient.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Stir the mixture while it is in the crockpot. If it is dry, add a little water If it's soup-like, remove lid for a little while, or turn heat to high setting.
- Try not to overcook this and let the lentils go mushy. They should still hold their shape. I cooked this for 3 hours on high and it was perfect.
- Serve with crusty bread and a side salad, or top with grilled fish.