Socca, also known as farinata, is a pancake (crepe) made simply of chickpea flour, olive oil, water and salt. It’s vegan and delicious, and very easy to make.
I served my socca topped with smashed avocado, diced courgette, sauteed spring greens and rainbow chard, roasted butternut squash, feta, and toasted pine nuts. You can top the socca with anything. Another recipe I like is socca topped with spinach and spicy sweet potato – find the recipe Socca with Spinach and Sweet Potato.
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour (50g)
- 1/2 cup room temperature water (120ml)
- 2 tbsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt or pink salt (a good pinch)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until no remaining lumps. Let rest for at least one hour.
- Heat an 8 - 10 inch flat (preferably crepe) pan, which has been oiled, over medium heat. Ladle half of the mixture into the centre of the pan and allow to spread out naturally. When the edges begin to firm, carefully flip the pancake over. Continue to cook until cooked through - a couple of minutes. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Top with savoury topping of your choice.
- I usually double the recipe because i'm a bit greedy and like two pancakes.